It’s time to start preparing for the possibility of snow days.
School closures and delays are decided as early in the morning as possible—by 5 a.m., if feasible. Early releases are decided as soon in the school day as possible. If a late start is declared the prior evening, we will attempt to announce the following day by 7 a.m whether schools will be closed.
If schools are closed or dismissed early, after-school and evening activities also will be canceled. Community use of schools will be canceled only if schools are closed.
In the event of an early release, families will be notified by phone call and/or email. Elementary students who ride the bus or walk will not be released until verbal confirmation about arrangements has been made with families.
The decision to close schools or delay opening them is not taken lightly. The safety of students and staff is a top priority.
How to find out about schedule changes
- District website
- FlashAlert (must renew notification subscription every year)
- VPS mobile app
- Call 360-313-1401 or 360-313-1000
- Radio, TV stations and newspapers (will share information at their discretion)
- Automated phone calls may be made if schools close early during the school day, or if the decision to close is made the night before.
If no information is posted, schools are operating on a normal schedule.
Snow routes have been developed for some VPS schools. These alternate, safer routes will be used when ice and/or snow create dangerous driving conditions on certain roads.
When snow routes are announced, there will be no service to some bus stops. Alternate bus stops will be used.
Making a backup plan
Do you have a backup plan if schools are delayed, closed or release students earlier than expected? For example, could you:
- Adjust your work schedule?
- Hire a babysitter or take the kids to daycare?
- Ask a friend, neighbor or family member to watch the kids?